Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Favorite Things {Products for the Pup}

Today I'm linking up with The Teaching Trio for their Favorite Things linky. 



If you follow me on Instagram, you know I love my dog to the moon and back. I decided to dedicate this post to him (since he doesn't get enough attention already) and pet products I use.



1.) Ruffwear Front Range Harness: My dog has the WORST social skills in the history of dog social skills. When it's just he and I in my apartment, he's the sweetest dog. Seriously, we cuddle like no one's business. But once he leaves those four walls, it's anyone's game. 

One of the many skills he needs work on is not pulling on the leash while walking. I took him for a walk in a local park about a week ago...let's just say it had rained the day before and my clothes were covered in mud by the time we made it back to the car. The little punk (I can call him that because I love him so much) had heard (yes, just HEARD) the sound of dog bark and jerked so hard on the leash I fell in the mud. It's funny now in hindsight but I do not want to repeat that. 

A guy in line at PetSmart (who ironically had a Golden Retriever with him) told me about this brand of harness. I've tried a harness with Chip before to no avail. The guy said these had a clip on the FRONT on the chest instead of on the back of the neck and when a dog starts to pull it makes them stumble a little and slows them down.

I did some research when I got home and luckily found them on Amazon (I had a gift card I wanted to use). I took Chip for a walk practically the minute I had it out of the box. 

OH-EM-GEE people. It was THE best walk we had ever gone on. He noticed immediately that he couldn't go faster than I allowed him and he stayed right next to me the entire time. Needless to say, I was very happy.



I know I'm not the only one who can relate to this. When I adopted Chip, the rescue organization had gone through great lengths to nurse him back to health. He'd been living on the streets and was all sorts of bent out of shape. One issue was a stomach thing- it has some technical name that I can't even spell- and he was on special medication.

I was feeding him Purina, which I thought was ok. But Chip would have these random bouts of vomiting, mostly in the middle of the night (I amaze myself at how fast I wake up when I hear him start that making that hacking sound, poor guy). My vet recommended this food and those random bouts are few and far between now. 

I switched his food around the time I was doing Whole30. I thought, "If I'm not eating bad things, why should I be feeding my dog bad things?" I HIGHLY encourage you to feed your dog a better brand of food. Yes, it's more expensive, but he's more than worth it as far as I'm concerned.

3.) Toys from PetSmart- Chip is a rowdy pup and is rough on his toys. I'll buy him a squeaky toy and he's ripped it open and pulled the squeaker out faster than I can say, "Get it!" (and once that squeaker is out, he's done). 

I love these little plush toys from PetSmart. They're usually right up front by the registers and on sale for about $2 most of the time. Chip loves them too. And at that price, it's not so bad when he tears them up.

Well, that was a long post about my dog! If you're like me, animals have a special place in your heart and you put your pets on a pedestal. I'm not ashamed to say Chip is my best friend. People ask me "What about dating?" and my response is always, "The person better love my dog and cherish him as much as I do or it's a no go." May seem extreme but I love my Chip that much!





I hope you found some helpful ideas for your pet! I'll leave you with some funny Pinterest finds (I laughed so hard I cried while searching through results). :)






2 comments:

  1. Lol Those pics are too funny.
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow dog lover! I love this post! Plus, the memes are hilarious! My Italian Greyhound walks on a leash fantastic but our Jack-Russell mix... OMG! She's like a mini-freight train! However, our Italian is afraid of everything... that Corgie meme is all to real in our household! Glad I found your blog! I'm your newest follower!

    Happy Fourth,
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete