Saturday, January 3, 2015

Pinterest Pick 3 {January}


Raise your hand if you love discovering new link-ups to join in on... I do too! I came upon this one through my IG account. PAWSitively Teaching and Inspired Owl's Corner are the hosts. The purpose of this linky is to share your top 3 favorite Pinterest finds for the current month. It gives me an excuse to spend some more time on Pinterest so what's not to love about it? 

January means a unit on all things Arctic in our class so that's what my three pins are about.



One of my goals as a teacher is to integrate more art into my classroom. I don't mean just cute craftivities (which, don't get me wrong, I love them) but genuine, authentic student art. My class hand drew Rudolph in December (I posted a picture of them on my IG account @terrificteachingandlearning). It was the first time we attempted a free hand project like this (with my step-by-step modeling of course) and I fell in love with the results. You can truly see each student's personality shine through in their art. So we're going to try penguins this month! I actually did this exact project my first year with April Larremore. They turned out super cute and I can't wait to see how this year's class does on them. 




One of the things I love most about teaching a unit on Arctic animals is all the science topics you cover. Life cycles, weather, animal adaptations...there's so much! This is a fun and easy way to help students understand how Arctic animals can withstand the cold temperatures, specifically the oil coating on a penguin's feathers. 




This pin is from Deanna Jump's blog. I like this activity because it integrates science (comparing polar bears and grizzly bears), ELA (she provides a free recording sheet) and math (analyzing the class graph) all in one. 

Click here if you would like to follow me on Pinterest and make sure to check out some ideas from all the other bloggers who've linked up.



6 comments:

  1. I love using art in the classroom too! I am lucky that my current principal supports the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your directed drawing! So cute! Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that you are incorporating more art in the curriculum. My students only get to participate in a formal art class every other week.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students love the Who Would Win books - they would love that graph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pins! How fun is the Who Would Win game? My kids would be all over that- they love those books! And what a great idea for teaching adaptations! Thank you so much for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete