Sunday, December 28, 2014

2015 Goals

I was going to link up with my bloggy BFF Stephanie from Mrs. D's Corner today to share my goals for 2015, until I realized it was already closed! Super sad face. I'm stealing her template anyways (I hope she doesn't mind).  

I'll admit, I'm one of the thousands of people guilty of making goals this time of year and failing miserably at actually meeting them. So this year, instead of making some grandiose ones, I've decided to set some that I've already started trying to attain. That way, this time next year I can hopefully (< -- key word) say I've accomplished them!


Personal
As you can see, I have three personal goals for 2015. I want to read the entire Bible. I've tried this before and obviously it didn't work. I don't necessarily want to read it from Genesis to Revelations- just want to actually read every book. And not just read them, but comprehend the meaning better and apply it to my life. I just ordered this book to help me get started.

If you've read any of my most recent posts, you know that I cannot cook to save my life. Here's a story that illustrates my luck in the kitchen. Just last night I was frying up some deer meat I got for Christmas. Well, I went to open my *brand-new* pepper grinder (because every legit cook uses freshly ground pepper right?) and the lid came off. What happened next you ask? Whole peppercorns went EVERYWHERE! After which I exclaimed to my dog, "This is why I don't cook!!!" (Chip then ran out of the kitchen in fear.) Anyways, if you hop over to Stephanie's blog, cooking is one of her goals too. Our lack of cooking ability is one of the many things we have in common. But we WILL be chefs by the end of the year, darnit! ;-)

I'm a notorious worrier. I worry about everything there is to worry about. My family. My friends. My dog. What other people think of me. If I'm a good teacher. My purpose in life. You name it, I probably worry about it. So I'm going to print these out, put them on my fridge, the front door, my car, my classroom...to help remind myself not to worry so much. That God is in control and who better to be in control of my life? 


 Professional
I'll be starting grad school at Texas Tech in the spring. My most immediate goal is just to FINISH grad school. (Remember that worrying habit of mine? Balancing school with school is on that list too.) I've only had one conversation with my advisor about what I can do with my degree and it's opened my eyes to other careers I could have. At this moment, I don't see myself leaving the classroom because I feel it's where I have the most impact. I'm keeping an open mind though. 

Planning
I haven't traveled much in my life. Anytime I hear travel stories from other people I get super sad since I've only been to Florida three times (twice to Disney World, the other a 13 hour drive to see George Strait) and Arizona. I don't even own a passport. So this year I want to add to my list of "I've been there." Vegas, hopefully for TpT, and a co-worker wants to go to NYC (which has been a dream of mine since forever). I'm going to be realistic for my travel plans because of my other planning goal.

Many people set financial goals for the new year. I'm proud of myself in that I actually have money in my savings account. I've been very intentional in putting an extra deposit in it every month besides what gets automatically taken out each time I get paid. I use to say it was for a house, and it still could be for that, but I'm not sure I want to buy a house anytime soon because I don't know where I'll end up once I finish my master's. I just like the idea of having cash on hand in case I need it. 

Organization
It's shameful to admit that I sill have a couple of unpacked boxes in my apartment (I moved in August). It's all my craft supplies and important documents I need to file. The crafts are still in the box because my apartment is tiny and I'm having trouble finding a place for them. I haven't filed the papers because I need to clean out old ones from my filing cabinet first. Ugh! This is one of those not-fun-at-all jobs that I don't want to do but really should do.

I'm pretty organized at school except for my huge supply closet. I've been getting into the bad habit lately of just throwing stuff in there, not in the proper place. That "out of sight, out of mind" mentality and it must stop. Just thinking about that mess now is making me cringe. 

Students
Anytime I tell someone what part of Austin I teach in, I get the same reaction. That "Oh. Sorry." look. And it's sad but true. I'm in the rough part. Therefore, my students are rough. You may be saying, "How rough can a kindergartner be?" These kids have home lives that I will never be able to fully understand, and they bring their experiences to school with them. This is completely new for me, since this is my first year teaching in this type of demographic. So I pray for patience every day. Patience in my reactions to their behavior and patience with their attitudes toward school. Which leads to my next goal, which is doing everything I can to get them to the level they need to be at by the end of the year. Most of my students get zero help from home, so it really and truly is up to me. I want them to be successful, not only so they're ready for first grade, but so they can see that they CAN be successful. Many of them, even at only 5 years old, don't think they have much of a future. Which is heartbreaking and why even though there are days when I feel I've accomplished nothing, I still wake up every morning thinking "I will be patient, I will make an impact, we will accomplish something today, even if it's a little something." 
   
Motto
This pretty much says it all.


Whew, that was a long post! Hope I didn't bore you entirely and that it inspired you in some way or another. 

If you want to read what others have planned for 2015, click the button below.


Happy New Year y'all, and best of luck with your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment