Sunday, November 2, 2014

November {Currently}

The Currently linky always seems to come fast but I seriously feel like I was JUST typing out my October currently. Time is FLYING. It's a good and a bad thing for me...good since it means Thanksgiving and Christmas break are around the corner. Bad because it means...Thanksgiving and Christmas break are around the corner. Why is that a bad thing? I have a LOW, LOW class and HIGH, HIGH expectations from administration (and myself). They aren't where they need to be by this time of the year and I'm stressing worrying FREAKING OUT a little y'all. I'm just praying that "light bulb moment" happens. Soon!

Until then, there's only one thing to do. November Currently!


Listening: Not sure about y'all but I just love my early morning peace and quiet. I feel I do my best coffee-drinking, blog-stalking and pajama-lounging when I hear nothing but nature outside. No joke, I'm being totally serious. Anyone else the same?

Loving: I went to my second blogger meetup in Dallas recently. Remember the aforementioned blog-stalking I do in my early morning peace and quiet? Well, I got to meet some of my favorites and let me tell you-- these women continuously blow my mind with their talent and knowledge. Stephanie from Mrs. D's Corner got it right when she says she feels she's meeting celebrities. You are all celebrities in my mind too and you inspire me to become a better blogger/TpTer/teacher every day! I'm so glad I'm getting to meet you and call you a friend. I can't wait to meet more of you!

Thinking: From IG accounts and blog posts I know most of you just love the weather right now. I, on the other hand, am NOT such a fan. Don't get me wrong- I love fall. The colors, smells, the warm-fuzzy-feeling I get seeing all the pumpkin patches...but the weather? This cooler, soon-to-be COLD, FREEZING, ICY, YUCKY weather?? Who likes that? I can't eat, write, think, walk- basically I can't function when I'm cold. Sorry for the grumpy cat soapbox. Summer and your 100 degree wonderfulness- come back soon!

Wanting: The grocery store always seems to be the last thing on my mind. I'm not a good cook. I can't cook. I once botched a bagged salad. A bagged salad y'all! And I'm cooking for one, so when I DO cook I end up eating the same thing for DAYS. I need some tips! Help!

Needing: I don't have a dining room in my teeny apartment, only the kitchen bar, so right now when I eat my delicious take-out (since I can't cook) I'm eating at my desk or on the couch or on the floor in front of the TV. Maybe if I invest in some cute bar stools it will give me motivation to cook more so I can sit in them to eat?? That's my logic and I'm sticking to it!

Reading: The million Lucy Calkins books that I have for my year-long writing training. They're an easy read, it's just a matter of finding the time to read them. Writing is one area I struggle with, much less a solid writer's workshop. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ok, now your turn! Go link up with Miss Farley and remember the rule of 3! Have a happy week y'all!

17 comments:

  1. LOVE Lucy Calkins! Her books have really helped with writing in my Kinder classroom. Found you on the Currently link-up! I love your blog!

    Daisy Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment! This year is my trial year with LC, hopefully I can find what works and excel at it next year! I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

      Delete
  2. I would love to attend a blogger meet-up they never happen in this area when I'm available. Sounds like so much fun! I like the fall weather. I'm originally from the Northeast so this Texas fall just doesn't cut it for me-the only part I still miss! You have a really cute blog, glad to have discovered you! :)
    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, fall here in Texas is probably night and day from up there. Pictures from those areas of what fall really looks like are gorgeous! I would miss that too.

      Delete
  3. I am SOOO happy we got to meet :) We need to do it again SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me toooo! I don't think I told you this at the meet up but I won my very first IG giveaway from YOU! Your bright chevron sight words pack! There's a Houston meet up in the works I think...do you think you'll make it?

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. LOL I absolutely cannot cook either! When Jeffrey is away on business, it's either take out or cereal. He always laughs at me and the lack of dirty dishes when he returns because he knows that I didn't cook anything. Hoping you find some bar stools soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are sisters from another mother. We have skinny girl problems, we can't cook and our dogs are our children. Yup, definitely long lost sisters. LOL.

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. In Michigan, lots of our grocery stores offer online shopping. You can choose items online and then pull up in front of the store and they bring out your order. I'm waiting for them to do online cooking. My husband says that is called "take out". :) I'm an instructional coach and I'm working with a group of our teachers on writer's workshop this year. I'll be posting about some of our work soon.
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I wonder if H-E-B does online shopping (that's my fave grocery store around Austin). But it still leaves me with the problem of WHAT to buy, haha. Can't wait for your writer's workshop posts!

      Delete
  6. I'm not one for cooking wither so I can't help you there with any tips - sorry! There are lots of high expectations for my class this year too - seems impossible but I am sure we'll get there! Good luck with yours!
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thank you and same to you!

      Delete
  7. Happy November! I can relate with your feelings on your class not being able to keep up with the expectations being held. This year I have a third of my third grade class labeled as 'functioning illiterate'....that just makes life extra fun! My team LOVES Lucy Calkins...and well, I do use the workshop model and teach writing using the 6 + 1 Traits, she is sometimes unrealistic for my classroom. I've recently found some new writing resources that I'm able to relate to more, but still have Lucy as the backbone of the program. Fingers crossed it works!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say two-thirds of my class are pretty far below right now. Our demographic is a very transient, tough home life group too, so that doesn't help. My previous district used Empowering Writers, my current district also really pushes Jessica Meacham...my brain is on writer's workshop overload right now! But we do what we can do, right? Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh I would also love a personal grocery shopper and chef while I'm at it! I am a good cook but I don't prioritize it. I typically do all my meal prep once a month so dinner is ALWAYS in the freezer. It's the only way my husband and I eat! Have you ever tried that!?

    Tasha Emmerson
    Confessions of a Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen so many people do that meal-prepping thing but I've never tried it. Would it work well for just one person?

      Delete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog! A personal grocery shopper is just what I have...my husband! Grocery shopping literally makes me anxious and gives me a headache. Unless I know what I am looking for, I just cannot be in the store for more than 10 minutes.


    Lindsay
    If You Give a Teacher a Treat

    ReplyDelete