Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Back 2 School {linky}- Week 1

I don't know about y'all but I've made so many new blogger friends from using Instagram. That's how I learned about this new weekly linky hosted by Mrs. D's Corner and Miss V's Busy Bees.
 
http://mrsdscorner.blogspot.com/2014/07/back-2-school-linky-week-1-behavior.html
 
Here's what their schedule is for the next few weeks if you're interesting in joining. Make sure you click the button above to check out everyone who linked up and to add your own!

 
Today is all about behavior management. To quote Mrs. D, "it’s one of those things that some teachers just know how to handle and something that others need to invest many, many hours in." I'll be the first to admit I'm one of those that has invested many hours researching the best tools, strageties, ways, incentives to manage my class.
 
Now that I sit and think back on my first year I don't remember having an actual management system that I used. I was blessed to have a super class and super parents. No clip chart, no nothing. I don't think I even did smiley or sad faces in their folders. Crazy huh?!
 
I moved to a different campus my second year where they had a school-wide system all teachers used. It was basically a monthly calendar in their take-home folders with codes at the bottom we used to describe their behavior for that specific day (A1- talking out of turn, B7- inappropriate cafeteria behavior...you get the drift).
 
This was good but the problem I found was that if I put a B7 in their folder the parents would want to know EXACTLY what their child did to display inappropriate behavior in the cafeteria. Which is completely understandable but resulted in mini P/T conferences the next morning when they dropped their child off.
 
I was at the same campus my third year but decided to implement the famous clip chart strategy in my class. I used this one from A Cupcake for the Teacher. Click on the picture to read her post on it.

http://acupcakefortheteacher.blogspot.com/2013/05/my-new-behavior-reward-system.html
 
One thing I started doing differently was I had the students tell me what to write in their folder if they landed on yellow, orange or red. This was a two-birds-with-one-stone kind of thing; it gave me a chance to quickly conference with the student about his/her behavior plus it put the responsibilty on them instead of me.
 
My favorite part of her system was the Hall of Fame. If a student landed on Super Student I put a gold star on their clip. Once they got 5 stars, they earned a special reward from me. We decided as a class at the beginning of the year what the reward would be and they chose lunch bought from me from Chik-Fil-A (with parent permission).
 
They also earned or lost tickets according to which color they were on by the end of the day. We "bought" prizes from the prize box each Friday with their tickets so this A) gave them more incentive to land on a higher color and earn more tickets and B) taught them about spending versus saving (they could either "buy" a prize or "save" their tickets for prizes that required a larger amount of tickets- perfect for covering the new personal financial literacy TEKS!).
 
This was the best tool I've used in my three years of teaching. However, I've been seeing more and more about whole brain teaching and want to start implementing some of it's strategies. I just read a post over at Teaching With Love and Laughter about WBT and may use her Super Improvers wall this year. Click the picture to read her post.

http://teachingwithloveandlaughter.blogspot.com/2014/07/super-improvers-wall.html
 
Bottom line is, use whatever tool you find works best for you and your class. You know that term "differentiate"? That goes for behavior management as well. I'm one of those teachers who likes to try new things so that's what I'll do until I find the perfect (does that exist?) system!


7 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the Back to School Linky :-) I like how you have the students tell you what to write in their folder. I have my students fill out their behavior chart with the reason they moved their clip up or down and I initial (but I teach 2nd, and I see you teach K so that probably wouldn't work for you). When I started doing that the number of phone calls and emails dropped dramatically! No more "Johnny forgot why he moved his clip down" :-) And I agree, it puts the responsibility back on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I'm envious of teachers of older kiddos-how much more they can do, like write in their own folders haha! Thanks for reading- I'm hopping over to your post right now! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Destiny! I found you on the FB thread from today! I love your blog! I teach 2nd and have always admired kindergarten teachers....sooo much patience. :) My blog is Mrs. MeGown's Second Grade Safari, www.megownssecondgradesafari.blogspot.com. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Monica! Thank you! I hear 2nd is one of the best grades to teach but I love my babies! Just followed you on Bloglovin' :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Destiny! Thank you so much for linking up with Stephanie and myself! We're super happy to have you :)

    I absolutely LOVE that you didn't have to use a behavior anything your first year - those classes are one in a million! You lucky ducky!

    This past year, I used a clip chart of sorts, but we didn't offer the opportunity to go up as a school. I think that tore apart the confidences of some students because they knew that once they went down, there was no going back. NOT good, in my opinion. So, I don't think I'll be using that again. BUT, what I will be using is the Whole Brain Teaching techniques! I have heard nothing but GREAT about that system.

    Have you read the Whole Brain Teaching book?? I was just curious as to what your thoughts were on it if you had!

    I can't wait to see you next week as we discuss assessment strategies! :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    ventrellasara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! I haven't read the WBT book but want to...have you? Sounds like a good idea for a book study! :)

      Delete